Couples counseling is an investment in yourself and those you love. I help couples by providing a safe place to increase understanding, promote intimacy, and achieve desired goals. Oftentimes having the presence of an experienced therapist can be incredibly useful in aiding open communication, facilitating effective listening, and promoting non-defensive conflict resolution.
What issues do I treat?
My work with couples can involve pre-marital, marital, and relationship counseling. Some common focus areas in couples work include:
- address communication problems
- discuss premarital concerns, such as compatibility before commitment or marriage
- transform fighting into healthy and productive exchanges
- develop ways to dialogue about sensitive issues, such as money, sex, jealousy, or hurts from the past
- recover from affairs or infidelity
- increase emotional and sexual intimacy
- help couples develop effective dialogue regarding sexual issues such as monogamy, open relationships, polyamory, etc.
- learn to communicate so that your partner can better understand your needs
- recognize and transform recurring patterns that are holding you back
- deal with current circumstances, such as infertility, adoption, family planning, childbirth, career changes, or loss of loved ones
- help and support around decisions about whether to end a relationship